This wasn’t quick, but MAN was it good! I’d never cooked striped bass before (and honestly don’t have much experience cooking fish in general), but I saw it at the fish counter and was intrigued. We had all the ingredients at home for this Greek-inspired recipe; definitely worth a try. Just make sure you have a vat of EVOO.
4 pieces stripped bass, 4 ounces each, skin on
freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 lemon, scrubbed
2 cups olive oil, plus ½ cup more, as necessary
2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic (about 6 good size cloves)
¼ cup small black olives, pitted if desired
4 ounces baby carrots, scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
3 ounces scallions, trimmed and cut into 3 inch lengths
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped celery leaves
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels and season on both sides with salt, pepper, and oregano. Put on a plate and refrigerate while you make the rest of the recipe.
- Halve the lemon crosswise and slice one half as thinly as possible, removing the seeds. Juice the other half and set the juice aside.
- Combine the oil with the garlic in a large deep-sided cazuela or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Let it get to a simmer then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the olives, lemon slices, carrots, and scallions and cook 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add the fish, skin side down and, if necessary, add additional oil to just cover the fish. Cook 12-15 minutes, basting the top of the fish often with olive oil from the pan. Don’t worry if the tops of the pieces still look undercooked – that’s the way it should be. Turn the fish over, remove the pan from the heat and allow to rest in the oil another 10 minutes while it finishes cooking.
- Drain the fish on a plate lined with paper towels then plate with vegetables from the oil.
- Strain ¼ cup oil and mix with the herbs and the reserved lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle a bit over each serving.
- Put the oil in a container, cover and refrigerate. It will last about a week in the fridge.