Who knew a late Friday night at work would lead to such a culinary discovery! We happened to have all the ingredients for this super quick recipe (though we, of course, subbed frittata parm). It’s a really neat combination of inland and coastal Italian cuisine. Buon appetito!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon organic butter
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced (use more if you really like garlic)
1/2 pound wild caught shrimp, preferably sustainably harvested
1-2 cups kale, chopped fine
1/2 cup tomato sauce, preferably organic
juice from 1/2 lemon
pinch or two of red pepper flakes
course sea salt
cooked quinoa or pasta for serving
fresh parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy-bottomed pan, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, being careful so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the shrimp and kale and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the shrimp have just turned pink, and the kale is cooked through.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for another minute or so.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Serve over quinoa or pasta and sprinkle with fresh parmesan, if desired.