I’m not generally a huge sausage fan. But we were looking for a way to use some of the cabbage we had left from making pierogies, and this recipe sounded delicious. I subbed spicy chicken sausage and halved the amount of cayenne (we love it hot but have had…mishaps with cayenne in the recent past). I think I’ll slice the sausage next time instead of dicing to get bigger bites of the flavor.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in lentils, onion, cabbage, and garlic; cook until tender.
- Stir in sausage and tomatoes.
- Crumble vegetable cubes over mixture and pour in water.
- Stir in bay leaf, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.